Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Elderly Animals

Coping with the mortality of her parents, photographer Isa Leshko explores aging in the Nonhuman Animal world.  She specifically focuses on survivors of animal agriculture.  This is a rare glimpse into a life stage often robbed of those animals we raise for food.

 From the artist:

I am creating these photographs in order to take an unflinching look at aging and mortality. My maternal grandmother had dementia during her later years, and now my mom has it. I am scared of developing Alzheimer’s disease and I get nervous whenever I lose my keys or forget a person’s name. Photographing geriatric animals enables me to immerse myself in my fear of growing old. I have come to realize that these images are self-portraits. Or at the very least, they are manifestations of my fears and hopes about what I will be like when I am old.
I also want my images to inspire greater empathy toward animals, particularly farm animals. It is very rare for a farm animal to actually live its full natural lifespan given that most of these animals experience brutality and death early in their lives. By depicting the beauty and dignity of these creatures in their later years, I want to encourage people to question and challenge the way farm animals are currently treated.

No comments:

Post a Comment